How to Stay Positive During Busy Season
Busy season is an exciting time of year. You and your team are working hard to serve the Firm's clients. There is a lot of energy in the air, you're learning a ton and getting things done.
The long hours, client deadlines and time away from home can create stress. Stress can make it difficult to stay positive. But, being positive can keep us going during busy season!
The article below has some great tips for maintaining positivity during busy season. Keep these tips in mind as you get closer to deadlines to have a great experience and have energy for the next phase of the year.
- Others Are Stressed Too - We tend to judge ourselves by our intentions and others by their actions. Instead of taking those actions personally, consider that they are under stress too and may be having a bad day.
- Don't Take On Too Much - A shareholder asks if you have time to help with a project. You feel everyone is busy and if you don't take it on, there is no one else. So, you take it on, then are frustrated because you have to work more to get it done. Don't make assumptions about the workload and urgency of the project. Ask questions and be realistic about what you can do.
- Communicate - During busy season, many people avoid meetings, don't read emails and avoid extra conversations because they "don't have time" for it. What ends up happening is that small issues turn into big issues because they weren't addressed quickly. Firms can generally deal with any issue that comes up in advance as there is time to readjust. Talk to your supervisors and team members about your problems or concerns early.
- Take Care of Yourself - Busy season tends to be cold and flu season. Illness can go around the office. If you're not taking care of yourself, it's likely you'll get sick. Many people feel that they have to come to work sick because they will get so behind. But, you coming to work sick adds to the problem. Your co-workers get ill, your illness lasts longer than it should or gets worse and requires more time away. Make sure to get enough sleep, exercise, eat healthy and have time with friends and family. If you do get sick, take time to heal and come back productive and ready to go.
- It Will Get Done - I remember being so frustrated when a partner I worked with would tell me to just stay calm, it would all work out. During the peak of busy season, this seemed crazy to me. But, after 20+ years in the industry, I know that we will get through the difficult deadlines. It might not go as planned, but we will adjust and get through it. Instead of focusing on the deadline in the future, focus on what you get done today. One day at a time will get you to the end.
Remember the positives of busy season; you're learning more than ever, you're helping clients, you are working as a team and are a critical part of that team. The skills you learn during this time of you will help you in the future.
Check out the article from Convergence Coaching for more details on these areas.
Maintaining Positivity during Busy Season