As a job candidate it is very easy to focus on getting the offer and evaluating the objective components of the job such as compensation, job functions, work hours and benefits. Those things are important but the most significant factor for your success is the intangibles - is this company a good fit for YOU?
To do this, you need to ask questions that will give you insight into how the company runs - the real scoop. Here are some questions I love to hear from recruits that show me they aren't just interested in a job, but are looking for a place where they will flourish:
- Why do you stay with this company?
- Tell me about some of the challenges your company faces. How is the company addressing those challenges?
- What do you like least about your job? Why?
- If you were in charge, what would you change about the company?
- Tell me about some of the areas where the company needs to improve.
Good luck finding your best fit!
HBR - When Choosing a Job, Culture Matters